Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
This traditional homemade tomato basil soup recipe can be served home style by pairing with a grilled cheese sandwich or with a sophisticated twist by changing up your garnishes.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time55 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian or vegan alternative)
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes (I prefer organic, plum tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 20 leaves fresh basil chopped
In a stock pot melt butter with olive oil over low heat.
Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, but not browned. This will take about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle flour over onion and garlic and stir to coat vegetables.
Add broth, tomatoes (crushing slightly with your hand or a spoon), sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
Bring mixture to a simmer over medium high heat while stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to low, stir in chopped basil and simmer for 40 minutes.
Take off heat and blend with stick blender. You can also blend in batches in a traditional blender or food processor.
Taste soup and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
Ladle into bowl and garnish with your preference of basil leaves, your choice of chopped herbs, grated Parmesan cheese; or a swirl of sour cream or creme fraiche.