Healthy Lentil Soup
This lentil soup is easy to make. It’s also light and tasty enough for warm weather, while still hardy enough to be comforting in the winter months!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian and alternative)
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 1/2 cups lentils rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups spinach leaves loosely packed
Heat olive oil in the bottom of a stock pot.
Add celery, carrot, onion and garlic to pot. Saute until vegetables are softened, but not browned (about 10 minutes).
Add broth, tomatoes and lentils and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are soft (about 15 minutes).
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in spinach, until wilted (about 2-3 minutes).