Healthy Lentil Soup
This lentil soup is easy to make. It’s also light and tasty enough for warm weather, while still hardy enough to be comforting in the winter months!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian and alternative)
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 1/2 cups lentils rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups spinach leaves loosely packed
Heat olive oil in the bottom of a stock pot.
Add celery, carrot, onion and garlic to pot. Saute until vegetables are softened, but not browned (about 10 minutes).
Add broth, tomatoes and lentils and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are soft (about 15 minutes).
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in spinach, until wilted (about 2-3 minutes).