My husband and I love to have afternoon tea and this classic shortbread is my favorite tea time recipe. It’s the perfect accent to your favorite cup of tea, or even glass of iced tea during those hot summer days. While I’ve been known to enjoy a wide variety of teas, my current favorite tea is ToLife White Tea from Teavana.
I hope you enjoy this classic shortbread recipe that is rich, buttery and melts in your mouth.
Decoration alternatives: I like Wilton Sparkling Sugar, since it has a larger granule than regular granulated table sugar. Regular granulated sugar can also be used, but has a finer texture than shown in the photo. I also have used colored sugar for a holiday decorating alternative.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar I prefer Wilton Sparkling Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and powered sugar until well combined and fluffy, with electric mixer.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt to butter and sugar mixture; beat until combined.
- Press dough into an 8 x 8 inch ungreased baking dish.
- Prick the top of the dough with a fork and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
- Bake in 350 degree preheated over for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cut in 25 even pieces (this will be a 5 by 5 grid) and enjoy with your favorite tea.