1 large Onion, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, minced
3 T. Olive Oil
2 pounds Frozen Chopped Spinach, thawed
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup Dried Parsley (or 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup Olive Oil
8 sheets Filo Dough
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 3 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet, add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, but not browned.
- Drain thawed spinach, then to pan with onions and garlic. Combine ingredients and cook until moisture is removed, about 5 minutes.
- Allow mixture to cool.
- Combine eggs, ricotta cheese, feta cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add the cooled spinach mixture, and stir to combine.
- Oil bottom and sides of a 9 inch baking dish.
- Place one layer of phyllo dough in pan, brush oil on phyllo with a pastry brush. Add 3 more layers of phyllo dough, brushing each with oil after they are added. The phyllo will hang off the edge of your pan on 2 sides.
- Add the spinach mixture to the baking dish.
- Layer the 4 remaining phyllo sheets to the dish, brushing each layer with oil after it is added.
- Fold the phyllo dough that has been hanging over the edge of the pan to the top of the Spanakopita. Brush top with remaining oil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.