This traditional homemade tomato basil soup recipe can be served home style by pairing with a grilled cheese sandwich or with a sophisticated twist by changing up your garnishes.
There is nothing more comforting than homemade tomato basil soup served with a grilled cheese sandwich. If you are interested in creating this homemade tomato basil soup with a more sophisticated twist, simply garnish with basil leaves, your choice of chopped herbs, grated Parmesan cheese; or top with a swirl of sour cream or creme fraiche.
With this recipe, you’ll not only enjoy the rich and satisfying flavor but also the comfort of knowing it was made with the highest quality of ingredients.
Try these other Soup Recipes:
Recommended for this recipe:
Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian or vegan alternative)
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes (I prefer organic, plum tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 20 leaves fresh basil chopped
- In a stock pot melt butter with olive oil over low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, but not browned. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onion and garlic and stir to coat vegetables.
- Add broth, tomatoes (crushing slightly with your hand or a spoon), sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
- Bring mixture to a simmer over medium high heat while stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in chopped basil and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Take off heat and blend with stick blender. You can also blend in batches in a traditional blender or food processor.
- Taste soup and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
- Ladle into bowl and garnish with your preference of basil leaves, your choice of chopped herbs, grated Parmesan cheese; or a swirl of sour cream or creme fraiche.