1/2 pound Phyllo Pastry Sheets
3/4 cups melted Butter
1/2 pound Walnuts, chopped fine
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 t. Cinnamon
1/4 t. Cloves
Ingredients for Syrup:
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Water
Juice of one lemon, or to taste
- Butter 9×13 inch baking pan. Place one phyllo pastry sheet in pan and brush with more melted butter. Layer second phyllo sheet on top of first and brush with more melted butter. Repeat until you have six buttered phyllo sheets.
- Combine walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the walnut mixture over phyllo sheets.
- Layer six more phyllo pastry sheets, buttering between each addition, sprinkle with the remaining walnut mixture, then end with six more phyllo sheet brushed with melted butter between each.
- Brush top with remaining melted butter, and trim any edges needed with a sharp knife.
- Cut on the diagonal to create diamond shaped pieces, then sprinkle with water.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Boil sugar, water, and lemon juice for about 10 minutes to create a syrup.
- Pour hot syrup over freshly baked baklava, and allow to stand for a few hours for syrup and flavors to mingle before serving.