I discovered how much I enjoyed the combination of beets and goat cheese during my last visit to The EPCOT International Food and Wine Festival last year. While that experience inspired this salad recipe, I knew it could be better. Using roasted beets rather than marinated beets turned out to be the primary recipe modification I was looking for, and this Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Dressing was born.
I absolutely love this combination of roasted beets, goat cheese and walnuts. Not only are they so colorful together and healthy, but also very quick and easy to prepare. I roast the beets ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator until I’m ready to prepare my salad. By doing this on a regular basis, I find myself adding them to my lunch salads quite frequently also. Beets, so pretty on the plate and healthy too. Quite a win-win, don’t you think?
Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- 1 bunch of beets
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Wash the beets and trim off greens and roots
- Wrap each beet in a piece of aluminum foil
- Place foil packets on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until a fork is easily inserted
- Once beets are cool enough to handle, peel (they are very easy to peel after cooked) and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and honey.
- Whisk until well combined
- Place 1 cup of chopped romaine lettuce in each bowl/plate
- Add a small amount of dressing to the lettuce and toss gently
- Top each salad with half the roasted beats, goat cheese and walnuts.
- Serve and enjoy!