Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce made in a slow cooker. This recipe is great to make in large batches and always kept on hand (it freezes well) for a quick weekday dinner.
The taste of homemade marinara sauce can never be replaced by a jar sauce. Not only does homemade marinara sauce taste so much better, but I’m able to control the quality of the ingredients and amount of salt in the recipe. Jar sauces (even high quality and organic brands) often contain way too much salt.
It does take time to make a homemade pasta sauce, so I choose to make large batches of sauce, in a slow cooker and freeze in portion sizes. I find 3 cup portions are the most useful since many recipes call for a jar of pasta sauce (equaling 3 cups). Marinara sauce is so versatile in the typical American diet. I know my family frequently enjoys a wide variety of Italian dishes. I hope you enjoy this slow cooker marinara sauce in your family’s favorite dishes, just like we do.
Recommended for this recipe:
Try these other Main Dish Recipes:
- Moussaka (Greek Eggplant Casserole)
- Scallops with Stir-Fried Vegetables
- Healthy Spice Rub Salmon over Forbidden Rice
- Cedar Planked Salmon Salad with Citrus Ginger Vinaigrette
- Grilled Curry Chicken Skewers
Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 6-7 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian and vegan alternative)
- 4 28 ounce cans whole tomatoes
- 4 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 3 6 ounce cans tomato paste
- 5 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add onions and saute until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, oregano and broth or water; cook an additional 30 minutes.
- While the onion mixture is cooking, place whole tomatoes in your slow cooker, crushing tomatoes with back of wooden spoon. Add cans of tomato sauce and bay leaves to slow cooker.
- Once onion mixture is ready, add to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 7-8 hours.