My grandmother would always make mashed potato pancakes with our leftover mashed potatoes when I was young. This versatile recipe can be prepared for breakfast the next morning (as a replacement for hash browns), as an appetizer, side dish or a snack. Around grandma’s house, they were usually made for an after-dinner for an evening snack and never lasted very long.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have over the years!
Mashed Potato Pancakes
- 2 cups Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat about 1/4 inch olive oil in a frying pan to medium heat.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. This will be the consistency of thick pancake batter.
- Drop batter into hot oil and fry until golden brown. I prefer smaller pancakes and use about 1/4 cup batter per pancake.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve warm with sour cream and/or apple sauce.
Recommended for this recipe:
– 2 cups mashed potatoes (like our Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese)