This traditional homemade tomato basil soup recipe can be served home style by pairing with a grilled cheese sandwich or with a sophisticated twist by changing up your garnishes.
There is nothing more comforting than homemade tomato basil soup served with a grilled cheese sandwich. For many of us, this is the meal that brings reminds us of our childhood.
If you are interested in creating this homemade tomato basil soup with a more sophisticated twist, simply garnish with basil leaves, your choice of fresh chopped herbs, grated Parmesan cheese; or topped with a swirl of sour cream or creme fraiche.
With this recipe, you’ll not only enjoy the rich and satisfying flavor but also the comfort of knowing it was made with the highest quality of ingredients.
Try these other Soup Recipes:
Recommended for this recipe:
Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian or vegan alternative)
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes (I prefer organic, plum tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 20 leaves fresh basil chopped
- In a stock pot melt butter with olive oil over low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, but not browned. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onion and garlic and stir to coat vegetables.
- Add broth, tomatoes (crushing slightly with your hand or a spoon), sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
- Bring mixture to a simmer over medium high heat while stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in chopped basil and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Take off heat and blend with stick blender. You can also blend in batches in a traditional blender or food processor.
- Taste soup and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
- Ladle into bowl and garnish with your preference of basil leaves, your choice of chopped herbs, grated Parmesan cheese; or a swirl of sour cream or creme fraiche.
Julie @ Tastes of Lizzy T says
My girls love tomato soup. I’d like to try making them homemade. This looks like the one to try! Thanks!
I’m sure you’ll love it Julie. It’s a lot easier than you would think.
Nothing better than homemade soup! Tomato basil is one of my faves!
I love this simple soup using fresh basil leaves from my garden!
Howie Fox says
Hi Patty, you are right!! There’s probably really nothing more comforting than this soup and grilled cheese sandwich!! Woah I’d love to have a bowl right now 😀
Byron Thomas says
I’m going to make this for my partner. He loves basil in his tomato soup.
Mel @ avirtualvegan.com says
There is something so comforting about tomato soup. It is one of my favourite kinds. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Meaghan | Cook. Craft. Love. says
I’m a sucker for tomato soup but I’ve never tried to make it myself. Bookmarking this for cooler weather!
Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness says
Yum, I love the garlic, onion, and basil in this soup. I think I will try making this once my tomatoes are ready in the garden.
Lesley @ CheapVegetarianMeals.com says
Hi Patti, this looks absolutely gorgeous, fresh and inviting. I’m trying to lose a bit of my baby belly (they’re 4 and 5 :)) so I’m trying to eat lighter during the day. This looks like a fantastic option. Pinning for lunch tomorrow!
Lesley, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Emily | Rainbow Delicious says
This recipe looks so wonderfully comforting and I appreciate that the recipe list isn’t crazy long or anything. Can’t wait to try it with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich!
Tomato soup – such a classic. And always delicious.Yum!
My whole family loves tomato soup. Yum!
Sasha @ Eat Love Eat says
Mmm I love homemade tomato soup!
My daughter loves tomato soup sooo much.