I’ve always loved soup and this healthy vegetable soup recipe makes it guilt free. Not only are you adding a variety of brightly colored vegetables to your diet, it’s also a low-calorie alternative, thanks to the broth base. You’ll feel good about both eating this healthy vegetable soup and serving it to your family.
This recipe makes a large batch of soup, which reheats well. I love making this soup when I have a busy week ahead. It’s nice to know I have a healthy meal to heat up quickly for a week of lunches.
Healthy Vegetable Soup
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup arrots sliced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups fat free chicken broth (or broth of your choice)
- 1 head Napa cabbage chopped
- 6 ounces fresh spinach chopped
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 zucchini diced
- Spray a large saucepan with olive oil cooking spray, and warm over medium heat.
- Saute onion, garlic and carrots until they are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, cabbage, spinach, tomatoes, basil, oregano and salt to the onion mixture and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered for about 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.