Have you ever wanted to make homemade cranberry sauce instead of serving the stuff that is shaped like a can? It can really be done fast and easy. Additionally it is healthy, since you can choose the ingredients that go into your cranberry sauce.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Making homemade cranberry sauce is easier and quicker than most people would think. After you try this recipe, you'll never go back to the canned variety.Print Pin Rate
- 12 ounces of fresh cranberries
- 1 orange for zest and juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Zest the orange with a zester or grater. Set the zest aside.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange you just grated. Measure your juice. If you are not able to get 1/2 cup of juice from your orange, add water to make up any small difference. Set aside juice.
- Go through your cranberries. You will want to remove any that look bad and remove any stems that are still attached. Rinse your cranberries and set them aside.
- Pour orange juice and water into a 2 quart saucepan. Add sugar and cook on medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add cranberries to the saucepan. Stir berries into the liquid mixture a few times. Cover saucepan with a lid leaving a small gap for steam to escape.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes. At this point some of the berries will look whole and some will be cooked down.
- Remove your cranberry sauce from the heat and add the orange zest (reserving some for garnish). Stir to combine the zest into the cranberry sauce.
- Your homemade cranberry sauce can be served immediately or made the day before and refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Garnish with remaining orange zest before serving.
I’m so excited for cranberries this year! But haven’t seen any fresh cranberries sold yet. Love how easy is this sauce to make.
Julie | Bunsen Burner Bakery says
This looks so good! Although, I will be honest… I will always have a fondness for the weird molded stuff in can, because we always had it at my grandmother’s Thanksgivings. Even as an adult, sometimes if I’m sick and have a sore throat, it’s all I want to eat. Slides right on down with no effort, haha!
Beth @ Binky's Culinary Carnival says
I love homemade cranberry sauce! And, like you I feel that orange is a necessary addition!
What a delicious and simple recipe…perfect for Thanksgiving! Can’t wait to try! 🙂
Platter Talk says
Thanks for this fairly easy but tasty recipe! Thinking about trying to make w/cream cheese for a spread.
I have never tried making my own cranberry sauce. I’m sure this tastes miles better than if you buy it ready made.
Elaine @ Dishes Delish says
This looks so delicious! I love cranberry sauce and could eat it year round!
Perfect timing! Jut got some fresh cranberries yesterday! Love this for sandwiches!
Taylor @ The Girl on Bloor says
Can you believe I don’t have a cranberry sauce recipe yet? This would be perfect for my Thanksgiving table!
I think one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is cranberry sauce. I am glad I found this recipe – no more canned sauce.