This is my go-to salmon recipe, which I cook quite frequently. I love that this dish not only has a upscale restaurant appeal; it’s also quite tasty, can be prepared quickly, and also has so many health benefits.
I was inspired by a Dr. Oz show many years ago that spoke of the health benefits of turmeric and other spices, so love that I’m adding healthy spices to my family’s diet. This healthy spice rub mixture is not only good for salmon, but I have used this versatile spice rub for other fish varieties and scallops. And yes, it’s also Dr. Oz speaking of the health benefits of salmon that inspired me to cook salmon so frequently.
Forbidden rice has a beautiful appearance on a plate (I love the contrast in colors against the salmon) and has an amazing nutty taste. It’s also a great source of the antioxidants referred to as anthocyanins. Although it is also known as black rice, forbidden rice is actually a very dark purple in color, so contain the same antioxidant benefits of blueberries and acai.
I hope you enjoy this quick, tasty and healthy dinner entrée as much as my family does.
Healthy Spice Rub Salmon over Forbidden Rice
- 1 cup Forbidden Rice
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 salmon fillets I get mine here
- 2 tablespoons olive oil I get mine here
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Combine rice and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Let stand for a few minutes and fluff with a fork before serving.
- Mix ginger, sage and turmeric in a small bowl until well combined.
- Generously sprinkle spice mixture on both sides of salmon fillets and set aside. Reserve some of the spice mixture to use as a garnish.
- While rice is cooking, heat olive oil in a medium size skillet over medium heat.
- Pan fry salmon fillets over medium heat, about 5 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
- To plate, place a salmon fillet over the forbidden rice. Garnish with reserved spice mixture.