For those nights when you want a more special meal while still staying on the healthy side, Scallops with Stir Fried Vegetables may be just the recipe you’re looking for. This scallop recipe gives you a bit of Japanese Steakhouse taste at home, and it’s also a dish that can be presented beautifully for a special dinner occasion.
Scallops with Stir Fried Vegetables
An elegant scallops dish with a Japanese steakhouse flair.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 pounds scallops
- 1 medium onion cut in half then thinly sliced
- 7 ounces fresh shiitake mushroom remove caps and slice, discard stems
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small bunch scallions sliced (for garnish)
- Dry scallops with a paper towel. This will allow for a nice sear on the scallops. Set aside.
- Cut onion in half, then slice each half into thin slices. Set aside.
- Remove mushroom stems and discard. Slice caps and set aside.
- Mince 2 cloves garlic. Set aside.
- Shred 1 cup carrots. Set aside.
- Slice scallions to use for garnish and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. This will be used for the vegetables.
- Add onions and stir fry until lightly brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushroom caps to onions and cook an additional 2 minutes. The onions and mushrooms will be almost tender.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook about another 1 minute.
- Add carrots and bean sprouts and cook another 2 minutes. At this point all vegetables should be soft.
- Remove vegetables from heat and add the soy sauce and lemon juice.
- While vegetables are cooking, heat the other 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. This will be for the scallops.
- Cook scallops in a single layer until nicely browned, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove scallops to a plate to rest while vegetables cook.
- To plate: Divide vegetables even between 4 plates, add scallops on top of vegetables and garnish with scallions.