This healthy lentil soup is easy to make. It’s also light and tasty enough for warm weather, while still hardy enough to be comforting in the winter months!
You will enjoy this easy to make lentil soup throughout the year. It is so easy to sauté some fresh vegetables, then simmer with lentils, broth (I prefer homemade) and a can of tomatoes. This makes up a very healthy and inexpensive meal or appetizer before a special meal.
Healthy Lentil Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian and alternative)
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 1/2 cups lentils rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups spinach leaves loosely packed
- Heat olive oil in the bottom of a stock pot.
- Add celery, carrot, onion and garlic to pot. Saute until vegetables are softened, but not browned (about 10 minutes).
- Add broth, tomatoes and lentils and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in spinach, until wilted (about 2-3 minutes).