Bread pudding is by far my husband’s favorite desserts. Each time I make this I definitely earn “brownie points” with him!
This version of bread pudding with amaretto sauce has become our household favorite.
By adding the bananas and soaking the bread in the milk/egg mixture, the final result becomes a moist and delicious pudding. Additionally, by soaking the raisins they become a plump and juicy addition. I hope this becomes a favorite in your home like it is in ours.
Bread Pudding with Amaretto Sauce
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup Amaretto
- 4 bananas ripe
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
For Amaretto Sauce:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Amaretto
- 1 stick butter
- Soak raisins for at least 1/2 an hour in 1/2 cup Amaretto (longer if time permits).
- Coat 13" x 9" baking dish with cooking spray or butter; set aside.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
- Mash bananas with the tines of a fork.
- Combine milk, eggs, sugar, bananas, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Soak the bread cubes in the milk and egg mixture. Mix to ensure liquid is evenly absorbed.
- Add raisins and Amaretto that have been soaking into the bread mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and bake for 30 - 45 minutes. The top will be golden brown and all liquid will be absorbed.
- For Amaretto sauce: Over low heat, melt butter and sugar together in small saucepan, stirring consistently.
- When butter is completely melted and sugar has dissolved, add Amaretto.
- Pour over Bread Pudding and serve warm.