My grandmother would always make mashed potato pancakes with our left over mashed potatoes, when I was young. This versatile recipe can be prepared for breakfast the next morning (as a replacement for hash browns), as an appetizer, side dish or a snack. Around grandma’s house they were usually made for an after dinner snack and didn’t last very long that evening.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat about ¼ inch olive oil in a frying pan to medium heat.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. This will be the consistency of thick pancake batter.
- Drop batter into hot oil and fry until golden brown. I prefer smaller pancakes and use about ¼ cup batter per pancake.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve warm with sour cream and/or apple sauce.