There is nothing more comforting that homemade tomato basil soup served with a grilled cheese sandwich. If you are interested in creating this homemade tomato basil soup with a more sophisticated twist, simply garish with basil leaves, your choice of chopped herbs, grated Parmesan cheese; or top with a swirl of sour cream or creme fraiche.
With this recipe you’ll not only enjoy the rich and satisfying flavor, but also the comfort of knowing it was made with the highest quality of ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for a vegetarian alternative)
- 1 can (28 ounce) of whole tomatoes (I prefer organic, plum tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pepper, freshly ground
- 20 basil leaves, chopped
- In a stock pot melt butter with olive oil over low heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and translucent, but not browned. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onion and garlic and stir to coat vegetables.
- Add broth, tomatoes (crushing slightly with your hand or a spoon), sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
- Bring mixture to a simmer over medium high heat while stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in chopped basil and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Take off heat and blend with stick blender. You can also blend in batches in a traditional blender or food processor.
- Taste soup and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
- Ladle into bowl and garnish with your preference of basil leaves, your choice of chopped herbs, grated Parmesan cheese; or a swirl of sour cream or creme fraiche.
Recommended for this recipe: