This cream of broccoli soup recipe is not only easy to make, but also combines healthy and comfort foods. You can feel good about adding more vegetables to your family’s diet, while enjoying the rich, creaminess of this soup.
By using canned milk, you can get the richness of cream without the added calories. Also by garnishing with extra sharp cheddar cheese, you can enjoy the rich flavor without using a large quantity.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds broccoli
- 5 cups, chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk (I prefer organic)
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Extra sharp cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Add garlic and onion to stock pot with broth. Simmer until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
- While garlic and onion are cooking, chop broccoli (florets and stems) into about 1 inch pieces.
- Add broccoli to the pot and continue to simmer uncovered until broccoli is soft, but still bright green. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and puree in the pot with an immersion blender. You can also puree in a blender, in batches.
- Stir in the canned milk, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with extra sharp cheddar cheese.